Say It Isn't So

Saturday, August 06, 2005


SNOW IS SO COOL!
(long as you don't have to shovel it)

It's so hot outside right now that I am leaping right into my first winter in the big city in the hopes that it will cool me off! We have moved into a 4 plex; 3 bedrooms, 1 bath. There is a front lawn but the building is surrounded by driveways to get to the garages in the back that sit under the 4 plex. It snows as much in Montreal as it does in Minnesota during winter. That means a lot of shoveling in order to get your cars into the garages. If you didn't do that it would be most difficult to get the vehicle started in the morning. At the time, of course, I wasn't aware of these laws of mechanical functions, I was merely fascinated with the world of snow!

The delights of getting all dressed up in the most cumbersome get ups eluded me at the time. The freedom of exploring my world was all that mattered. Out the door with a swish, swish, swish as the wonders of nylon leggings rub together while walking. I'm in my best 'michelin man' looking duds. The sound they make while moving is something I will always remember. Well, I'm out there exploring my universe when I walk up behind a neighbour who is moving mountains of snow around in his driveway. Bang goes the shovel right into my pumpkin and down I go. He didn't know I was there until it happened and he thought he knocked me out. He is most distressed; and I, being of the hard headed breed, remember seeing stars for a moment but get right back up on my feet. Nevertheless, the neighbour insisted on taking me home to Mommy for an inspection. A lesson was learned that day. Do not sneak up behind anyone wielding a shovel.

4 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, August 07, 2005, Blogger Eriksgirl said...

Cute story!! We don't get a lot of snow here in the Dallas, Texas area, and when we do, it is never "shovel worthy". Glad you were okay, and since you were, I laughed. Sounds like something that would happen to me!

Take Care Mouse!
Brandy aka Erik's girl

 
At 5:10 PM, August 07, 2005, Blogger mouse said...

Thanks Brandy, I am trying to remember and recount all the stupid things I did when I was young and this certainly qualifies!

 
At 9:50 AM, August 08, 2005, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Now then, you're from Minnesota stock? Hah, if so then you know of the Frozen Jack-o-lanterns syndrome ... snow in october. Your 'smashing pumpkin' allusion percolated that memory in the old gord.

 
At 8:54 PM, August 08, 2005, Blogger mouse said...

Sir Mdm. Actually my paternal Great Grand Father is buried in Medford, Wisconsin - just a stone's throw from Minnesota, so I still feel a connection! Sadly I never got to meet the man, he passed away in 1891 at the tender age of 25 in a mill accident. Still, I would love to visit there and touch his gravestone. One day perhaps.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home