Say It Isn't So

Friday, March 10, 2006


I DIDN'T SEE THE OSCARS! ARE THEY RELATED TO THE PIT BULL?

I've been waking up every night at about midnight in a hot/cold sweat with the same song going through my head. Johnny Cash singing "And it burns, burns, burns, that ring of fire, that ring of fire." So I lye awake listening to the rain falling on the roof. It's the kind of thing that doesn't happen often around these parts. I try to do my meditation exercise of slowly putting my body to sleep. I do this almost every night. Have done since I was about 18 when I learned the technique from my friend, Squakenbush. Start at the toe; no it's actually more like start in the toe, and let my whole mind sink into the very essence of what, why, when, and where it is to be my toe. One at a time, telling them to go to sleep, as I slowly work my way through each toe. When I get to my little toe - and believe me, my little toes are extra short - not even half the size of their neighbour toes, when I get to that little toe, I feel the work out that I give them every day. I swear this little toe does the lion's share of keeping me upright and moving all day. They are totally wiped. I can feel the effect of relaxing them going clear up the outside muscles of my calves. Suddenly the mellow turns into nightmare as I hear "I fell into a burning ring of fire, I went down, down, down, and the flames get higher". So much for mind control. Even the self-imposed kind is not working. I decide to enlist the aid of the falling rain and the Beatles. I call to mind "I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in, and stops my mind from wandering, where it will go oh".... "and it burns, burns, burns". Alas, I am doomed. It didn't work. So I try another Beatles number. "When the rain comes, they run and hide their heads, they might as well be dead" This, I am happy to say, actually did the trick, and I fell to sleep until morn.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Nice shot of lawn fudge there. Yetch.
As for that techinique, I learned that a while back too but have not used it in years. I guess when I'm stressed out I'm just to addleminded to remember.

 
At 3:33 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger mouse said...

For me, it's more like when my brain hits the pillow, all the blood rushes in, and the thinking neurons fire up and won't let go. The technique usually works for me, but ear worms are powerful!

 
At 2:25 PM, March 18, 2006, Blogger Pris said...

The body...so frustrating to deal with. I use meditation/relaxation techniques, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home