Say It Isn't So

Sunday, January 22, 2006


This picture is an earlier version of an air mattress. A more portable style.

I 'VE GOT MY
NUMBER!

The husband and I decided to get ourselves a new SLEEP NUMBER BED for Christmas this year. He had been on about them for some time. Every magazine that had the ad, that would be every magazine we receive, and probably every rag in the country, would have him excitedly pointing it out to me. I, of course, would balk at them and mention how it was just a glorified air mattress and that the motor must make a heck of a noise every time you had to pump it up.

We had just got a new bed a couple of years back. A huge California King Pillowtop, that I liked quite well. There was one problem for me though. The pillowtop must be made out of foam rubber. It would get very hot in the summer, and my summers were already filled with enough hot flashes to power up a locomotive! But the roominess was superb.

One day just before Christmas we were at the local giant Ontario Mills Mall to pick up a new pair of eyeglasses from the optometrist. As we weaved our way through the masses of shoppers and passed all the shops trying to lure them in we walked past a Sleep Number bed store. Man, hubby was so excited that I agreed that after we picked up the glasses we would stop in so we could check them out. So after the eyeglass are paid for and adjustments are made to ensure they will not fall off my face, we head on back to the sleep number store.

There were about 6 beds of varying sizes set up. There are the 3000, 4000, 5000, 7000 and 9000 models all available in the usual sizes of twin through California King. So the first one we try out feels quite comfortable and the salesclerk has us each work out controllers to find our numbers. A loud humming vibration ensues. I jump off the bed commenting on how I thought they make a lot of noise. I banter about how he'll be adjusting the thing half a dozen times a night driving me crazy with that loud hum. The salesclerk explains how this is the least expensive model. Okay, here we go. We are led to another mattress, same size as the previous one but a pillowtop. On we go and grab the controllers and the thing is totally quiet! Now my interest is peaked. The settings adjust themselves quite rapidly. Not at all like pumping up the air mattresses that we camp with. Effortless, fast and quiet. It comes with a 30 day try it, like it, or return for a full refund. A money back gaurantee! So we purchase a queen size one for the guest room. It arrives via UPS about 2 weeks later, in 4 giant boxes. Some assembly required! Always fun, never as easy as one expects, but not too difficult either, especially after you actually take the time to read the manual.

So mission accomplished. The seller recommends that you stay with your selected number for 3 days before making any new adjustments. Well, neither one of us paid much attention to that. I set mine for 65 first off as it was nicely flat and firm the way I like it. Hubby at 235 pounds and 6'3" likes his really soft and sets his at 35. I try it for 2 nights, and decide it's too much like sleeping on the side of a mountain with no ledges to level off with, and set my number down to 50. The husband decides that 35 is too difficult to get in and out of because it's like climbing out of a bowl and sets his to 45. I the eternal skeptic cannot believe that it's true, but we are both sleeping incredibly well. I have to admit that it is the best, deepest sleep I have been getting in a long time. And on a queen size! I had to wait until I was sure it was really that good before I posted about it. But when we get moved to Ohio we are going to get one to fill the shoes of the California King bed too.

4 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger Pris said...

I have friends who've gone to the air mattress and say the same thing about improved sleep. I heard this just after buying a different type mattress that I'm not really happy with at all, so the budget won't allow another one so soon. Darn.

 
At 9:24 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger mouse said...

Pris, that's bad timing, eh? I was so hesitant to even give it a whirl and I still find it hard to believe that it is so comfortable!

 
At 10:28 AM, January 23, 2006, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

'especially after you actually take the time to read the manual.'

Heh ... and who read the manual!? We had a california king waterbed (mile wide, the damn thing) and it cost us a fortune to keep heated in the winter. Given that, you've got me interested in this durned contraption now.

 
At 3:49 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger mouse said...

Sir Mdm. I would freeze on a waterbed! Another thing that amazes me about the sleep number bed is that I set it on 50 about 4 weeks ago and I haven't had to use the pump at all and it's still at 50. BTW, I started in on the manual after I could see frustration setting in on the Mr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home