Say It Isn't So

Monday, March 19, 2007


If you thought kids have a problem -

try Adult Attention Deficit Disorder

I decide to water my lawn.

As I turn on the hose in the driveway, I look over at my car and decide my car needs washing.

As I start toward the garage, I notice that there is mail on the porch table that I brought up from the mailbox earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car. I lay my carkeys down on the table, put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table, and notice that the can is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the garbage first. But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the garbage anyway, I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my checkbook off the table, and see that there is only one check left. My extra checks are in my desk in the study, so I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke that I had been drinking. I'm going to look for my checks, but first I need to push the Coke aside so that I don't accidentallly knock it over. I see that the Coke is getting warm, and I decide I should put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke a vase of flowers on the counter catches my eye - they need to be watered. I set the Coke down on the counter, and I discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning. I decide I better put them back on my desk, but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly I spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table. I realize that tonight when I go to watch TV, I will be looking for the remote, but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the living room where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor. So, I set the remote back down on the table, get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do. At the end of the day; the lawn isn't watered, the car isn't washed, the bills aren't paid, there is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter, the flowers don't have enough water, there is still only one check in my checkbook, I can't find the remote, I can't find my glasses, I don't remember what I did with the car keys, and my neighbor called to tell me he turned off the hose that was flooding the driveway.

Then when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day long, and I'm really tired. I realize this is a serious problem and I'll try to get some help for it, but first I'll check my e-mail.

Tomorrow I start a new job. My first gainful employment in 54 weeks. I took a position as a Secretary/Receptionist . Note the use of the term Secretary and not Administrative Assistant. That word actually attracted me to the position offered. This post was a good exercise for my typing skills. This job shall be a good exercise for my brain. Halejula, I will have a two and one half mile commute. The shortest that I have ever had.

8 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Oh, gosh mouse ... Have I ever been there or what! This happens all too often to me. FOCUS! I need a bucket of it.


Ohhh ... pretty lights!

 
At 3:23 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger Herrad said...

found your blog via eric's i shall bookmark it for future reading.
thanks again
regards
herrad
ps i heard last july i got ms so coming to terms and loking for ifnor and others with ms we need all our stories
here a link to my blog
blog

http://accessdenied-livingwithms.blogspot.com/

 
At 8:24 PM, March 29, 2007, Blogger mouse said...

Sir Mdm, Yeah, I can use the focus tactic when it comes to a bout of vertigo, but it's harder to find for ordinary everyday stuff:)

Herrad, Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but perhaps you can tell it is something you can work around and manage to still be upbeat. Welcome, we all help each other spiritually and emotionally in ways that aren't really obvious but count for a whole lot.

 
At 11:48 AM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Bubbie said...

You have put into words the perfect description of my typical day, since MS. Alas! Someone else understands! The intentions and the distractions, a constant battle. My day usually includes something burning on the stove or in the oven that I started with good intentions but found my way to another room and another distraction. Fire extinguishers are handy things.

 
At 7:41 PM, April 13, 2007, Blogger mouse said...

Hi Cathleen, I live in a 1350 sq. ft., 2 bedroom, 2 bath apt. and I have 3 smoke alarms, 1 CO monitor, none of which are in the kitchen. I used to have one in the kitchen but everytime I made toast the thing went ear piercing off. It moved into the dining room. Unsightly, but as you can guess by my posting, a necessity!

 
At 3:24 AM, April 19, 2007, Blogger tamiki said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:25 AM, April 19, 2007, Blogger tamiki said...

"This job shall be a good exercise for my brain. Halejula, I will have a two and one half mile commute. The shortest that I have ever had."

Unless you still can't find your car keys and glasses.

I had a good laugh reading that.

tamiki

 
At 9:53 PM, April 21, 2007, Blogger Jaime said...

This was a GREAT post! We have all been there. Since MS these days seem to happen more and more for me. Good luck on your new job. I am so happy for you! Take care.

Jaime

 

Post a Comment

<< Home