Say It Isn't So

Thursday, November 09, 2006

BACK TO THE BEGINNING

What's that famous line? Nothing is sure in life but death and taxes? Dealing with a parent's passing is one thing. You come to expect it will happen one day. Dealing with a child's passing is harder still. It doesn't even have to be your own child and it is a horrendous experience, so I can't imagine the depth of my brother's despair. Somewhere in the middle is the passing of your mate. Difficult to deal with but deal with it you do.

So now I move on. Even though I'm not actually going anywhere. He brought me to this beautiful place so I will stay and experience it to the fullest.

I bought a condo here. It's not like my old one in California. This is a brick four plex. The walls are actually plaster and the floors are all hard wood but covered in carpet; which I like because it's easier on my legs. The bathrooms are white tile all across the floor and halfway up the walls. There is a shower with a marble seat and has the same white tile but it extends all the way up the walls and across the ceiling. Marble mantles line all the window sills. It's got a basement where my laundry room is and access to my garage. It is just up the street from that temporary corporate apartment that we stayed in for 6 months. A nice area with a tremendously comfortable feeling. I can't believe my luck in being able to negotiate a purchase offer that got me into this place.

It is also so great to be surrounded by my own stuff. I know it's just stuff, but it's my stuff. Not someone else's. And it has a sentimental value far beyond anything that money could offer. And it's all, well mostly all, still in boxes, waiting for me to find the time to unpack it. The kitchen is pretty much set up and I can cook again; once I unpack the box that is full of cookbooks. The box labeled spices is empty and the spices are in the cupboard. It's amazing to think that I can now put something together using coriander, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon and the wonderful turmeric. I guess I'd better dig out the cookbook box.

As I sit by my big picture window, drinking my morning coffee, watching a family of deer munch their way across my front lawn, I am at peace with the world.

Now I've got to get my butt in gear.

Well, maybe tomorrow.

7 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, November 10, 2006, Blogger mouse said...

Howdy Steel and Thank you!

 
At 11:55 PM, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine what you have been going through. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad you are able to find some peace during this time. Take care.
Jaime

 
At 10:33 AM, November 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back, hon. Unpacking can be draining ... physically and emotionally. Take care.

As for the passing of loved ones, it is never easy and the consolation of eternal reward does not help those of us left behind. My neighbors on both sides have lost adult children within the last couple of years and they cannot talk about it without breaking down. When my parents lost my sister, it took a very, very long time to come to terms with it. Loving a child is not a choice, loving a partner is. You chose well.

 
At 5:16 PM, November 13, 2006, Blogger mouse said...

As I was lucky in love, I am lucky to have such good online friends. Thank you all, so much!

 
At 1:25 PM, November 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

its great to see you back, I have miss you too!

Dave

 
At 6:31 PM, November 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking at deer in your yard.

Where do you live? Paradise, methinks. :-)

 
At 12:32 PM, November 15, 2006, Blogger mouse said...

Charles my address in within the municipality of the city of Cincinnati. A beautiful hilly area with and a bounty of lush greenery.

Steel send my thanks and a return hug to Phoenix. I am surprised at the issues as she used to be able to comment here, albeit long ago. I haven't changed anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home