Say It Isn't So

Saturday, December 10, 2005


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

When I was in high school one of my favourite subjects was geometry. My instructor, Mr. Horsnall, used to always give us our homework assignment about 10 minutes before the end of class. I would always manage to get all the problems solved, but one (out of ten) before class was let out. I wanted to get them all done before time was up, because then I would not have to lug the books home. It was a 3 mile trek to home and there were other subjects that I was not so proficient in that required actual homework on my part. So volumes were hauled, at first in a loose stack, then eventually, in a vinyl case that zippered around 3 sides.

The first thing to occur when arriving home was the snack. Something to tied me over until supper. Then I would take command of the dining room table and commence to being studious. It was all mine until the dinner hour when it was my job to set the places. My eldest brother and sister were already out on their own: my brother, in the Air Force in Baden Baden, Germany, and my sister, married with children. So it was usually just me, my other brother, Mom and Dad. I know we all say this, but my Mom was the greatest cook in all the world! Oh how I miss her cooking. I try and try but cannot duplicate the taste, but I must admit, after 35 years I am getting closer. Anyhow, I digress.

All my homework would be done but that one geometry problem. At bedtime, I would first sit in my window and stare up at and ponder the Universe. Then I would reread the unyeilding deduction before turning out the light. When I awoke in the morning the problem would be solved. Written on the notepad that I always kept by my bedside. The amazing thing was that it was always written in my writing, along with a poem or two, or perhaps a dream, that I would never remember writing in the night. The methods of deduction must have sunk in though, because at final examination time, I managed to get 96 out of 100, and I didn't have to sleep through the test to do it.

Well, it's only taken me 5 months of this blogging thing and I actually managed to get my blinking linking ability engaged. It was only my third, or fourth attempt to make it work but, by Jove, I think I've got it! I will be adding more to this link list once I'm am sure it is for real!

2 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, December 10, 2005, Blogger mdmhvonpa said...

Odd, I've always solved my problems the next morning in the shower ... same theory though. Mind is concentrated like a laser on ONE thing ... and the solution comes SO easy.

 
At 11:10 AM, December 11, 2005, Blogger mouse said...

In algebra they call that simplifying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home